Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Waiting for the Snowstorm with Butternut Squash Soup

We are expecting around eight inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.  The kids are hoping school is cancelled, and my Tuesday class in Madison has already been cancelled. 

Today, while the kids were at school, I envisioned us eating dinner together while the snow was falling.  I also had a craving for some hearty soup. 

I found a recipe at allrecipes.com, but I didn't have all the ingredients.  So I modified it and I loved it.  The kids were a little freaked out about the color and consistency, but Nick ate a whole bowl without complaint. 

Butternut Squash Soup
Ingredients
6 tablespoons chopped onion
4 tablespoons olive oil
6 cups peeled and cubed squash
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

Directions
In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.

Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.

Put in bowls and topped with finely chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment